Menu button UK Free TV logo Help!

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound or the channel line up is wrong

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+

To deal with the problem you must clear the channel list completely and then rescan - if your box has it in the menus, please the 'installation menu' to do an initial scan or a reset to factory settings or First Time Installation. You MUST delete the entire existing list of channels. On most boxes this technique can be also be used:

Try this:

1) unplug your Freeview box (or idTV) from the mains;

2) unplug the aerial from the Freeview box by disconnecting the cable from the 'RF in' socket;

3) wait 30 seconds;

4) plug Freeview box (or idTV) mains back in;

5) do a complete scan for channels - it will fail without the aerial. (This may be in the installation or initialization menu, and is distinct from any 'add channels option'). Once this is done your channel line up should be empty;

6) reinsert aerial by reconnecting to the 'RF in' connection;

7) do a complete scan for channels again.

The Freeview channel line-up provided by six "multiplexes" - each of which carry five or more TV channels, radio channels, text services and EPG data. In this diagram each ROW represents a multiplex. If you are still missing a whole multiplex (ie everything on the row) you may need to replace your aerial with a wideband type, purchase a larger aerial or you may have interference from a VCR, games console, Sky Digibox or similar.

What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau2
My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o4
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels5
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?1
I have a Durabrand cg5660-m and I need the lock key code!2
What is the Inversion Effect and why does it effect my Freeview TV reception? 3
My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART ca4
My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I expected5
What are the aerial types about? Are they high-gain?6

Comments
Thursday, 12 February 2015

Alan White : Another method of temporarily reducing the signal strength, but in a less drastic fashion, is by turning the aerial by exactly 180 degrees whereby giving a reverse pick up.

jb38's 6,322 posts Platinum Platinum GB
MikeB

jb38: I'm not surprised at Alan having pixallation - I've got a Sony PVR and they have very good tuners. Yes, they are far more robust than perhaps Panasonic or Humax, but they do pull in a signal! I live in North Cambridgeshire, but my RDX-895 gets Waltham, Belmont, Talcneston (just enough to annoy) and Sandy Heath (ditto). I've killed

Alan - your going to need some attentuators!

MikeB's 1,290 posts Gold Gold GB

MikeB: Yes, quite so, as signal overload is indeed the most likely reason for Alan's problem, although the signal level received from the aerial in the loft mustn't be quite as high as what would normally be expected from transmitters/tv/Sutton_Coldfield">Sutton Coldfield's 200Kw transmitters, that is, going by the fact that Alan's reception has not been completely wiped out.

However, an attenuator such as the one seen on the undermentioned link is likely to be the answer, albeit that I have reservations about recommending these sort of low cost variable devices and much prefer fixed types, however, variable types do seem to be popular even although they are somewhat critical to adjust.

Variable Attenuator | eBay

jb38's 6,322 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Friday, 13 February 2015
MikeB

jb38: I must admit that the variable attenuator I bought really didn't seem to do much. I bought some cheap fixed ones from Amazon for less than ?2 each, and the 12db works very well. The advantage with a number of different fixed ones is that you can put them in series if need be.

Remember that the Sony's tuners are pretty robust. My PVR was on 95% signal strength with only an occassional blip on BBC channels, which would have wiped out a Panasonic, for example, so it might be just on the tipping point.

MikeB's 1,290 posts Gold Gold GB
Wednesday, 25 February 2015
R
Rob

Hi I have a DREAMAX Freeview digibox, which has worked relatively fine until the latest update,
which was about three weeks ago.
Now, almost everytime when I go to a high number channel such as 130 or 132 the channel order is thrown out of
out of sequence, so that below and above 132 the channel numbers are random and a message
"new services are being installed" pops up. The only way to reset the channel order seems to be to go
to channel 1 and from there back to 130 or 132 and only then the epg guide shows the channels back in
order. Also if you go to say channel 11 instead of 1 a message pops up "invalid entry".
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Regards
Rob

Rob's 1 post GB
Saturday, 28 February 2015
C
Caroline Kay
10:49 AM Norwich

Hello , My daughter has a freeview built in tv in her bedroom and for about the last 6 months she has lost all the BBC channels. They are not even appearing on the EPG. We have plugged her tv into our room and they are still not there but our tv in our bedroom gets all of these channels. Any help would be appreciated. We are in Taverham, Norwich, NR8 6PB.

Caroline Kay's 1 post GB
Caroline's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage

Caroline Kay: You should try resetting your daughters TV back to its manufacturers (out of the box) settings, this facility being accessed via the menu button, resetting also known as "manufacturers reset" / "default setting" / "first time installation" etc dependant on the brand of the device.

jb38's 6,322 posts Platinum Platinum GB

Caroline Kay: Another somewhat less complex procedure which can sometimes bring about the desired result, is to remove the aerial connector from the TV followed by carrying out a retune, this action blanking out everything stored in the tuner, reconnecting the aerial on completion of the retune and ensuring that "no signal" is indicated if any attempt is made to select a channel, (which is correct!) the final stage being to carry out a normal auto-tune.

jb38's 6,322 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Sunday, 1 March 2015
E
EM119

I have a panasonic viera TV which is working absolutely fine whilst watching tv programs on Freeview, however for about a week now the tv guide has been really slow and is missing lots of entries (eg there are blanks in the tv guide).
I have tried retuning and its still the same, any help would be greatly appreciated

EM119's 1 post GB