Menu button UK Free TV logo Help!

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound or the channel line up is wrong

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+

To deal with the problem you must clear the channel list completely and then rescan - if your box has it in the menus, please the 'installation menu' to do an initial scan or a reset to factory settings or First Time Installation. You MUST delete the entire existing list of channels. On most boxes this technique can be also be used:

Try this:

1) unplug your Freeview box (or idTV) from the mains;

2) unplug the aerial from the Freeview box by disconnecting the cable from the 'RF in' socket;

3) wait 30 seconds;

4) plug Freeview box (or idTV) mains back in;

5) do a complete scan for channels - it will fail without the aerial. (This may be in the installation or initialization menu, and is distinct from any 'add channels option'). Once this is done your channel line up should be empty;

6) reinsert aerial by reconnecting to the 'RF in' connection;

7) do a complete scan for channels again.

The Freeview channel line-up provided by six "multiplexes" - each of which carry five or more TV channels, radio channels, text services and EPG data. In this diagram each ROW represents a multiplex. If you are still missing a whole multiplex (ie everything on the row) you may need to replace your aerial with a wideband type, purchase a larger aerial or you may have interference from a VCR, games console, Sky Digibox or similar.

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o4
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels5
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?1
I have a Durabrand cg5660-m and I need the lock key code!2
What is the Inversion Effect and why does it effect my Freeview TV reception? 3
My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART ca4
My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I expected5
What are the aerial types about? Are they high-gain?6

Comments
Tuesday, 31 March 2015
MikeB

Dave Lindsay: I have to admit that my knowledge of the area is a bit hazy! It would be interesting to see what the signal strength is though..if only to narrow down the possible problem.

MikeB's 1,330 posts Gold Gold xx
Monday, 6 April 2015
m.whitbrook

hello about my post on break up of my picture on freeview the problem only happens in the winter as we are now in spring its perfect now no breakup of picture at all..does this mean the aerial wants tweeking answers please

m.whitbrook's 20 posts xx
Dave Lindsay

m.whitbrook: The first thing to try is installing attenuation so as reduce the signal level. This has been suggested before:

Dave Lindsay's 5,527 posts Platinum Platinum xx
Tuesday, 7 April 2015

m.whitbrook: Re: Picture break up only occurring during winter months. On having read through your various postings made on this subject, I note that in your Jan 12th @ 7.47am posting you reported that both your kitchen TV and also the one used by your son, both of using indoor aerials, also break up, should this still be the case? then it would be interesting to know the result if you temporarily connected your sons TV into the roof aerials outlet socket.

The second point being. You also state in your 4th Feb @ 10.27am posting that an attenuator did not make any difference to the situation, what value of attenuator did you try? because at only 5 miles from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter and with (according to info on terrain) a clear line-of-sight from same, any attenuator under 12dB or so is not likely to make any difference as far as excessive signal level problems are concerned.

However, if you still have the attenuator? then no matter what its value might be, there is a test you could try that would give you an idea as to whether or not your problem is definitely being caused by a slightly over the top signal level, although the test will only work if whatever you are using is capable of indicating the "quality" of the signal and not just the strength, the former being essential for the test.

The procure being, connect the roof aerial directly into the TV (or box) and select BBC (or ITV) then carry out a signal check on the levels received, making a note of the "exact" quality level being indicated, that is if its not diving up and down? which of course makes things slightly more difficult.
Once the quality level has been noted insert the attenuator in line with the aerial lead and note if the quality has improved any, if it has (even if only fractional) then this is a positive indication that the signal being fed into the TV (or box) is a tad on the high side.

jb38's 6,408 posts Platinum Platinum xx
Wednesday, 8 April 2015
H
Helen Hassard

There has been no tv signal now for two weeks in Benaughlin park, Enniskillen yet we have our licence fee taken from our account just yesterday, what for I ask. They're cowboys here in Enniskillen taking us for fools.

Helen Hassard's 1 post xx
Thursday, 9 April 2015
MikeB

Helen Hassard: You can check on this site if the transmitter is working properly, but transmitters are pretty much never off for two weeks! You've almost certainly got a problem with your aerial.

MikeB's 1,330 posts Gold Gold xx

Helen Hassard: In addition to, and as a back up to that said by MikeB, although engineering work has been taking place for just over a week now at the Brougher Mountain station which covers your area, the work is involved with its DAB and FM radio service and not Freeview.

jb38's 6,408 posts Platinum Platinum xx
Monday, 13 April 2015
A
a slim

I live in Birmingham B32 and the signal strength on channel 46 from Sutton Coldfield is weak, all of the others are excellent, consequently ITV, C4, C5, ITV2 etc have poor reception.

a slim's 1 post xx