Menu button UK Free TV logo Help!

My Sky box has a "no signal message" - what do I do?

My Sky box has a "no signal message" - what do I do?

My Sky box has a  no signal message  - what do I do?

If you are getting the message "no signal" this would indicate that there is a problem with the signal from your dish into your box. Even without a card inserted into a Sky Digibox, if there is a signal, you will always get Sky Guide and the free channels.

Try powering off your box, remove the card, check carefully the cables, especially the connection to the dish, reapply the power and then when asked to insert your card you should then be able to see (for example) channel/SNWS">Sky News on 501 and the BBC News channel on 503.

Once you can see any channel, reinsert your card. This should, after about one minute, give you the channels you expect, such as 103, 104 and 105.

There are three ways you can attempt to reset your box. Please see What can my do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' ?.

If you continue to get "No signal", you dish may have been misaligned, or there may be a fault with the cables and connectors, or a problem with the Digibox. You can see the signal strength by pressing SERVICES, then 4-SYSTEM SETUP and 6-SIGNAL STRENGTH.

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o4
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels1
What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau2
Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?3
I have a Panasonic TV with integrated Freeview how can I record Freeview channel4
I have split the signal from my satellite dish and now nothing works.6

Comments
Saturday, 4 July 2015
Dave Lindsay

Mike O'Sullivan: Of course, it doesn't mean the aerial isn't the problem. What I've said is simply making you/her aware of what sort of reception location it appears to be. Obviously with deciduous trees the signal might be worse in summer when the leaves are present.

It might be worth asking the landlord if they have any knowledge of the issue.

Dave Lindsay's 5,665 posts Platinum Platinum xx
10:25 PM Trowbridge

Mike O'Sullivan

Are you sure of the post code given? A search shows that to be in Pilpot Wood on the Bowood Estate and between Derry Hill and Sandy Lane. It is therefore near the top of a hill (near rhe Naish Hill local radio mast) and should be able to get good reception from Mendip. But an 8 element aerial is unlikely to be sufficient in that location. Therefore it would be worth having an aerial installer inspect the current system with a view to replacing it with a log-periodic aerial that will suffice for the foreseeable future. Do not fall for the 'scam' of a "Digital Aerial", all UHF aerials are perfectly able to receive Freeview transmissions.

MikeP's 60 posts Bronze Bronze xx
MikeP's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Sunday, 5 July 2015

Mike P : Much as I hate to contradict, but to me anyway, that post code indicates a property located at the end of a gated lane that runs off the A342 in one of the worst locations for Freeview reception from Mendip, insomuch with any aerial nstalled for reception from the aforementioned station having to face in a direction that skirts along the sides of a rather dense forest, that is, if not actually in it!

jb38's 6,539 posts Platinum Platinum xx

MikeP: Apologies Mike, I had another look at the view from said p/code location on a somewhat larger screened monitor, and on zooming in on said view can detect what would appear to be the mid/upper section of a mast in the extreme distance, the mast being positioned slightly to the RHS of two others at a shorter distance away.

jb38's 6,539 posts Platinum Platinum xx
Mike O'Sullivan
9:06 PM Calne

thanks guys for the help. My daughter just emailed this to me, which explains a lot!

"David went up a ladder today to examine the connectors to the aerial and it appeared to be hanging on a thread and not earthed. He said he was amazed we had any signal at all. We certainly don't have many channels properly, including annoying ITV4 for the TdF.

I am going to call the estate office tomorrow and say that we really need them to get a new aerial or at the very least a new cable and connection. The previous tenants had Sky so wouldn't have used it..."

Mike O'Sullivan's 5 posts xx
Mike's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
10:32 PM Trowbridge

Mike O'Sullivan:

Just a quick note, TV aerials are never 'earthed' in the UK. Doing so would tend to attract lightening much as a lighte]ning conductor does. If lightening did strike you aerial is may well damage you house and would certainly ruin any equipment plugged into the aerial.

The coaxial connectionhas an inner core and an outer sheath. These must be kept separated and each connected to the terminals of the dipole of the aerial. At no point is there provision for an 'earth' connection.

jb38:
The far distance mast is probably Mendip, the closer ones being the dab/Naish_Hill">Naish Hill radio (local FM and DAB) and mobile phone sources (not 4G yet).

MikeP's 60 posts Bronze Bronze xx