Menu button UK Free TV logo Help!

My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I expected

My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I expected

My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I e

You need a "wideband" aerial rather than a high gain one (see all about aerials). Also, if you use a signal booster in the setup, this can cause problems with digital signals.

Can I suggest that you try the following:

1. Check that all the connectors are OK, in particular that there are no stray wires and that both the outer shield and inner wire are connected;

2. If you are using any signal boosters, turn them off;

3. Check to see if you have anything like a VCR connected via a UHF fly lead - sometimes these can changed to use channels such as 68.

4. If you have a wideband aerial, if you can try raising it up an additional metre;

See also all about aerials.

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o4
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels5
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?2
I have a Durabrand cg5660-m and I need the lock key code!3
What is the Inversion Effect and why does it effect my Freeview TV reception? 4
My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART ca5
What are the aerial types about? Are they high-gain?6

Comments
Saturday, 31 January 2015

G Dixon: Its just as well that you had a spare aerial, as it can be bit difficult to purchase replacement amplifiers for these aerials, basically because its extremely unusual for them to develop a fault, myself having three of the single output types, two used at home facing towards different transmitters and the other used for mobile signal testing purposes, log aerials being excellent for this purpose by them having a virtually even response across the band thereby giving a more accurate indication of the actual levels received from each of a stations multiplexes.

As far as your cable runs are concerned, if you have any doubts about them, try connecting each of them each of one at a time rather than all at once, checking that the TV installed in the room fed by the lead you have just connected is working OK before going onto the next.

Thanks once again for the update.

jb38's 6,463 posts Platinum Platinum xx
Friday, 1 May 2015
Margaret Johnson

Hi, I have 2freeview TVs in separate rooms. We cannot get a lot of the channels especially in the evenings. Sometimes it says no channels available and sometimes it just keeps breaking up. I don't know what the aerial is . What should I do?

Margaret Johnson's 1 post xx
Saturday, 9 May 2015
Dave Brown

Hi everyone, perhaps someone can help, I live within 10 miles of our main TV transmitter which transmits on 7 channels including 28. My lounge and bedroom tvs use one aerial and show all channels, my computer uses a 40year old lump and receives all channels, my other tv (with freeview tuner) uses a modern wideband aerial and used to get all programs bar HD now has breakup on some but cannot get film 4 + 1. Downlead changed, flylead renewed and breakup now gone I hope, new aerial but still cannot get film 4+1. Investigation finds that tv is seeing channel 27 (!) with very good signal and finds programs on it including film 4+1 but does not show them in the EPG, a spare digibox also does the same, tv tried connected to the other aerials and ok. other aerials when checked are using channel 28. I used to get said program on this aerial so am at a loss as to the issue. any help much appreciated. sorry for the long post

Dave Brown's 4 posts xx
js

Dave Brown: Film4+1 used to be a regular service on the DVB-T "Arqiva B" multiplex, thus available to all devices.

Since November 2014, Film4+1 has been on the DVB-T2 "BBC B" multiplex, thus available only to DVB-T2 capable devices.

The DVB-T2 "BBC B" multiplex currently carries these services:

102 BBC TWO HD
101 BBC ONE HD
103 ITV HD
104 Channel 4 HD
105 BBC THREE HD
123 CBBC HD
45 Film4+1

If a device cannot receive BBC ONE HD, for example, then it cannot receive Film4+1

js's 62 posts Bronze Bronze xx
js

Dave Brown: "Investigation finds that tv is seeing channel 27 (!) with very good signal and finds programs on it including film 4+1 but does not show them in the EPG, a spare digibox also does the same"

EPG data is effectively encrypted for all services, SD as well as HD, on the T2 multiplexes.

Do the devices bear the "Freeview HD" logo? See the section headed "Copy protection" here:

Freeview (UK) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

js's 62 posts Bronze Bronze xx
Dave Brown

thanks for the quick replies, i'll follow them up, the tv is an older LG led model listed as HD ready, but why is it finding these BBC-B mux programs on channel 27, my transmitter is Belmont which carries these on Channel 28!!
thanks