Menu button UK Free TV logo Help!

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Free

Yes, but only "sort of".

Freeview is the name of the (BBC-backed) digital TV system that uses hilltop transmitters to rooftop aerials. It is run separately from the "Sky" satellite-to-dish service. free-to-VIEW is a term for satellite channels that need a viewing card to watch, but not to collect a subscription. free-to-AIR channels are ones that can be received without needing a viewing card or subscription.

The free-to-AIR satelite service backed by the BBC and ITV is called Freesat. The free-to-VIEW service operated by Sky is called fSfS or Freesat from Sky.

As long as you have finished your first year, you can leave Sky when you want. To do this just give Sky a call and tell them you don't want to subscribe any more.

If you stop subscribing you will be able to watch the hundred or so free-to-air channels listed on free channels list. This service is called Freesat from Sky (fSfS).

Some of the channels on the Freeview service are subscription only on satellite, specifically: 4Music, Challenge, Dave, Dave ja vu, Quest, VIVA and Yesterday . See these links to compare the TV channels on Freesat-from-Sky and Freeview, and to compare radio stations on Freeview and fSfS. Many homes have free satellite and Freeview to get the full range of channels.

You will still need to keep your Sky viewing card. If you stop subscribing on a Sky contract, you can keep using that card to watch 5USA, 5* and PICK TV, the so-called "free-to-view" channels. (All ITV channels are free-to-air).

It is not possible to plug an aerial into a Sky Digibox to receive Freeview channels because the boxes have not been designed this way.

You will continue to get the full Sky EPG listings; you just will not be able to watch subscription channels.

If you want to go for High Definition, HD, you can swap out your Sky box for a Freesat one very easily.

A card is not needed to watch BBC services, but it is needed to get the correct BBC ONE and BBC TWO regions on 101 and 102.

Another option is to disconnect your Sky Digibox altogether and Upgrade from Sky to Freesat - ukfree.tv. If you have an HD-Ready TV and a standard Sky box, this is a good option.

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o4
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels5
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels1
What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau2
I have a Panasonic TV with integrated Freeview how can I record Freeview channel3
I have split the signal from my satellite dish and now nothing works.6

Comments
Thursday, 19 March 2015
Paul GRANEY

Might be a daft question but am upgrading to sky+ Hd after old digibox broke down but I don't have an Hd television and all sky sports channels are Hd will I be able to watch them .I never gave it a thought when arranging this update I don't want to be paying more and not getting the channels I watch the most.

Paul GRANEY's 1 post xx

Paul GRANEY: Yes, as your HD sports channels will simply be displayed as SD images in exactly the same way as on the old Sky box.

It should though be pointed out that Sky+ HD boxes require twin feeds from the dish to enable the recording side of the box to operate correctly, was your old Sky box a Sky+ version?

jb38's 6,408 posts Platinum Platinum xx

Briantist: Yes! many thanks for pointing this out, apologies for aspersions relating to your site.

Although its rather puzzling as to how the colon appeared at the end of the URL, especially as the offending URL wasn't actually typed in but via "copy and paste" from address bar. Anyway, I will watch out for this potential problem in the future.

jb38's 6,408 posts Platinum Platinum xx
Monday, 23 March 2015
jeannette

My contract with sky ends 27 March. I have a BT TV box which I have not connected yet. Should I disconnect the Sky box before connecting the BT box please. Also will I be able to record on my DVD player please.

jeannette's 3 posts xx
A
ann

i have cancelled my sky subsciption it finishes on march 31 i have asky+ hd box will i still recieve non subscription channels or just a blue screen.

ann's 1 post xx
4:56 PM Bourne End

ann: The only programme channels affected by cancelling your subscription are those dedicated to a Sky package, you can test this out for yourself by removing the viewing card and running through the programmes that you normally view, any dedicated to a package will trigger a "please insert card" message,

The other thing that should be pointed out being, that you will lose the ability to record or playback anything recorded on the hard drive, as Sky will disable access to this side of the box.

jb38's 6,408 posts Platinum Platinum xx
jb38's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
MikeB

jeannette: You can leave the Sky box as it is. Just because your contract ends, it doesn't mean the box stops working - only that you cannot record, access what you've recorded and the channels available will be rather more limited.

The BT box is a rebadged Humax PVR, and works via Freeview, so they work entirely seperately.

If your DVD Player is only a player - then no, thats impossible (thats what the BT box will do). If you have an old style DVD recorder, then possibly. It will need either a Freeview tuner built into it (and connected to the aerial) or could be used via the Sky box (connected via a scart) and uses the Sky box as a sort of digibox. Unless you really need something on disc, I wouldn't bother.

MikeB's 1,330 posts Gold Gold xx
Tuesday, 7 April 2015
Dawn Quinn

8 have cancelled my sky but I have no ariel will I be able to connect a freeview + box to my sky dish and use that as my ariel

Dawn Quinn's 1 post xx

Dawn Quinn :
A dish is only used to receive signals from a satellite and cannot be used for any other purpose as that is all it is designed to do. Freeview is a ground-based service so you need an aerial connected to your TV or set top box to get their programmes. The aerial needs to be suitable for your local transmitter so we could advise better if we knew roughtly where you live by giving a post code (or that of a nearby shop or post office). Note that there is no such thing as a 'digital' aerial, all aerials for domestic TV reception are suitable for current signals providing you observe the grouping and polarity setting - your aerial installer will be able to advise. We usually suggest using a log-periodic aerial as that is most likely to be usable for any forthcoming changes over the next 5 years or maybe more. (BTW, 'ariel' is the name of a type face style!)

MikeP's 10 posts xx
Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Dawn Quinn : In addition to the advice given by MikeP. Freesat devices are 100% compatible with Sky dish systems, a basic reliable Freesat box such as a Manhattan PlazaHD-S2 (?44.00 from J/Lewis) being an ideal replacement for a standard Sky box, or if you require the same facilities as that offered by a Sky+, or Sky+HD box, then a Freesat PVR (recorder) would be the device to go after, a popular brand with a reputation for reliability being manufactured by "Humax", although Manhattan also has a recording version of the Plaza called a HDR-S, (?129.00 JL).

A point to note being, that standard Freesat boxes in common with standard Sky boxes only requires a single input from the dish, whereas Freesat PVR's in common with Sky+ devices require twin inputs, i.e: one for each tuner.

That said, you will of course still be able to view Sky's non subscription channels even after you have cancelled the contract with Sky, that is "if" your box is still fully operational and has not developed a fault.

jb38's 6,408 posts Platinum Platinum xx