Menu button UK Free TV logo Freeview

Northern Ireland "mini multiplex" (NIMM)

I have added information to the UK Free TV database to cover the so-called mini-multiplex that will carry three Irish channels, TG4, RTE1 and RTE2 in a very special multiplex from three transmitters in Northern Ireland.

I have added information to the UK Free TV database to cover th

A special service for 80%-90% of households in Northern Ireland will see three Freeview additional channels being available. These will be:

Some homes will be able to receive the services directly from the Saorview transmitters in the RoI (see SAORVIEW - Ireland's free digital television service ), and others will, from the digital switchover date of Wednesday 24th October 2012, have a service provided from three Freeview transmitters in Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland RTE1 RTE2 TG4 minimux transmitters

However, you will not be able to view these services using a standard-definition Freeview receiver - a Freeview HD box or set will be required. It is not known at this time if the NIMM will carry RTE2 in HD, as per the Saorview service. TG4 and RTE1 are broadcast in standard definition at the moment.

The requirement for a Freeview HD receiver is because the services are being broadcasting in "D-Book Option 11", which uses the DVB-T2 standard ("a new mode, option 11, is being planned for a multiplex in Northern Ireland. Receivers should be able to switch between these automatically", D-Book 7, DTG164 is defined in appendix G as: FFT size 32k, 16QAM modulation, 1/128 guard interval, PP7, FEC 64800). Digital Television - Technical guidance on the availability of TG4 in Northern Ireland after digital switchover says that Option 11 is: DVB-T2 16QAM FEC 1/2.

Update: DVB-T2 16QAM FEC 1/2 provides a bitrate for the multiplex of 12.77Mb/s.

Update: DVB-T2, QPSK modulation, FEC 2/3, 32K carriers, 9.954 Mbit/s.

Freeview, aerials?
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?2
My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART ca3
My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I expected4
What is the Inversion Effect and why does it effect my Freeview TV reception? 5
Should the UK close down the TV networks to allow for more mobile broadband? 1
UK Digital switchover ends - Northern Ireland completes on 24th October 20122
The last day of analogue television in the UK - goodbye PAL3
2 days left of analogue television - goodbye teletext4
3 days of analogue to go - goodbye to NICAM 7285
Changes to Saorview frequencies and power levels, 24th October 20126

Comments
Thursday, 22 November 2012
mrdtv

Dave Lindsay:

Clermont Carn E52 is 160kW. Newcastle is very close to it but I am surprised he can get a signal because of the Mournes. The only way of course is to actually give it a go!

mrdtv's 321 posts Gold Gold GB
Damian Cooper
1:05 PM Newcastle

mrdtv. I get your point about Clermont Carn, but I'm 4 miles north of the mountains & getting the C.C. signal through a dip to the west of the range. A guy across the road from me is pulling in C.C. on an original Newcastle Aerial (not sure of group) as it's about 4 miles line of sight. He just added a masthead amp & tweaked the aerial west by a wee few degrees. Thanks too Dave, no danger of me having any interaction with Kilkeel (Aughrim Hill), it's totally blocked to the north (Newcastle, Dundrum, Castlewellan, etc) by the mountain range. I was consodering a 21 - 37 combined with 39 - 68 (split at 38 / screened) from aerialsandtv.com. Do you think this would have the desired effect for me? Also, what aerial group is Clermont Carn? Thanks Again to both of you!

Damian Cooper's 4 posts GB
Damian's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
mrdtv

Damian Cooper: Now that we know your situation I would get the Ch51 diplexer from aerials and tv. CC is a Group C/D. Why bother with the NIMM if you get CC as it has the full Saorview package, but if you want CC and Divis/Black Mountain then the Ch51 diplexer is the right one. Kilkeel won't interfere but Moel-y-Parc might be an occasional nuisance with NIMM. Of course FreeviewHD needed.

mrdtv's 321 posts Gold Gold GB
Sunday, 25 November 2012
danny

i am in omagh town i have bought a new tv with built in freeview and soarview for rte stations the rte stations aoe perfect right up to 5 or 6 o clock then they are unwatchable does anyone know why this happens

danny's 1 post GB
Friday, 6 September 2013
A
Albert

can some one please advise me where to find rte radio channels on my newly acquired freeview box. I can get rte tv on channel 52 and 53 but where radio (BANGOR).

Albert's 1 post GB
Dave Lindsay

Albert: RT?? radio is not available from the NIMM transmitters - they carry RT?? One, RT?? Two and TG4 only.

Dave Lindsay's 5,535 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Michael

Albert: RT?? RnaG is available on channel 729.

Michael's 358 posts Gold Gold GB
Tuesday, 5 November 2013
Paul McIlfatrick

Today I got a Freeview Humax box with a T2 tuner.

My Freeview is from the Conlig relay and on tuning the it I now get the HD channels but there are no RTE channels.

Is it only the main transmitters in Northern Ireland that broadcast the NIMM?

Is there any plans to add NIMM to the relay transmitters?

Paul McIlfatrick's 1 post GB
Dave Lindsay

Paul McIlfatrick: The NIMM isn't expected to be extended to relays.

It is currently available from Black Mountain (which is adjacent to Divis), Carnmoney Hill which serves Newtownabbey and surrounding area and Brougher Mountain.

Its purpose is to complement the overspill from the South, which is why the main transmitter at Limavady doesn't carry it.

Ofcom published a factsheet here:

The map shows a little hole in the coverage where you are. It would appear that Clermont can't help you either.

If an aerial installer confirms that you have no chance of receiving RT?? terrestrially, then perhaps Saorsat is your only option.

Dave Lindsay's 5,535 posts Platinum Platinum GB
PJH

Michael: Check the coverage of Divis and Black Mountain on Digital UK's postcode checker. You'll certainly get the PSB channels, and probably the Com multiplexes as well.

It also shows at least marginal reception for the NI mux, so it might be worth putting something up for Divis rather than the Conlig relay.

Failing that, Saorsat would be the best option if you don't want to pay Sky or Virgin:

Digital UK - Coverage checker