Menu button UK Free TV logo Freesat

Upgrading from Sky to Freesat

It takes less than five minutes to replace an existing satellite box with a Freesat one.

It takes less than five minutes to replace an existing satellit

If you have an existing Sky or fSfS (Freesat from Sky) installation and want to go to upgrade to Freesat, it is a simple process.

First, buy the Freesat box from a Argos, Curry.digital, Comet, John Lewes or your local independent shop:

In the box you will find the Freesat box:

Also included will be a remote control, and this model also comes with a SCART cable, a HDMI cable and a stereo-with-composite cable. Unpack the ones you need:

You old Sky box looks like this:

Unplug the mains first from the Sky box, then pull out the SCART (or SCARTs) and then unscrew the connection to the satellite dish.

Remove the Sky box and fit the Freesat box. Reconnect the satellite cable (take care as to not damage the connection) and then the SCART and finally connect the mains power:

The box will look like this:

The box also contains the manual, which has full installation instructions. Finally fit the batteries into the remote control.

The TV screen first displays the box's logo

The first set-up screen allows you to select the TV type, widescreen mode and resolution:

Next the box checks for the satellite signal:

Then there is a check for updated software:

Then you enter your postcode and the box checks it:

The next step is a scan for channels. This takes about 30 seconds:

And that's it. You can now view channels, like 108 for BBC HD:

Or press the GUIDE button for the EPG:

(Apologies for the photos not being of the top quality)

Free satellite?
What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau1
Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?2
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels4
Satellite TV operators FRANSAT, TIVUSAT and our Freesat launch FreeTV Alliance 1
An Independent Scot would still be able to watch the BBC on satellite, surely? 2
Were ... you watching UK Free TV from the Astra satellites until last week?3
Freetime supports Freesat 2013 growth4
Technical changes to Freesat channels, 2nd-10th October 20135
Freesat to outpace Sky in 21st consecutive quarter of growth6

Comments
Saturday, 15 November 2014

Ned : Sight amendment to that said regarding the ITV3 question, make it Pick TV on EPG11, the reason for this being that I recall one exception to the norm of ITV3 / COM4 only being broadcast by main stations, although at this moment I cant remember the station that the exception applies to, but though Pick TV / COM5 "is" only broadcast from main stations.

jb38's 6,325 posts Platinum Platinum GB
MikeB

Ned: If you include a postcode, we can try and work out what might work.

MikeB's 1,290 posts Gold Gold GB
Monday, 26 January 2015
A
andy

I have the free SKY channels through an old sky digibox (drx-100). No card and no subscription. If i bought a FREESAT HD box , apart from the 8 or so HD channels , is there any advantage.?
Are there more channels available with FREESAT compared to the free to view SKY ones ?

andy's 1 post GB
MikeB

andy: Check out the differences here: All of the free TV channels in the UK

HD is of course one advantage, but of course the other is that if you have a twin LNB, you've got the chance to record, unlike a 2nd hand Sky box. And you would get on demand TV from a Manhattan or Humax box.

I'm not sure I'd be that disappointed to lose some of the Free Sky channels anyway - Horse & Country TV?

MikeB's 1,290 posts Gold Gold GB
Friday, 13 February 2015
G
geoffrey o'neill
7:06 PM Stockton-on-tees

I've tuned my tv and now get internet channel 248 when will this be broadcasting on the net. Stockton on tees.

geoffrey o'neill's 19 posts GB
geoffrey's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Saturday, 14 February 2015
N
Nick

andy: some Freesat programs have 5.1 sound, like the rugby today for example.

Nick's 41 posts Bronze Bronze GB
Friday, 20 February 2015
John

We have BT infinity broadband and u view, but reception through our terrestrial areal is really bad, constantly losing the reception for long periods.
We have an old sky plus box and card which allows us to change over fo free channels when the reception is poor but the box plays up at times and the picture is not as good.
Without re subscribing to sky packages, what is the best option?

John's 1 post GB

John

As you already have a dish, as was used for your previous Sky service, it may well be advisable to use that with a Freesat box. That will work perfectly well using the dish as the signals for Freesat come from the same group of satellites as the Sky signals.

I don't think that YouView works with satellite services though, but others may be able to confirm that or correct me if I'm wrong. My YouView box takes signals from my terrestrial aerial but, like you, signal reception of terrestrial (Freeview) services is not ideal.

If you like the idea of using your existing dish with a Freesat box, you may consider getting a Freesat PVR so you can record programmes as well - but that will need a dual output LNB at least. If you had Sky+ then you should already have at least a dual LNB (or maybe a quad, just as good) and at least 2 downleads that fed into your Sky+ box.

Food for thought?