Menu button UK Free TV logo Freesat

Upgrading from Sky to Freesat

It takes less than five minutes to replace an existing satellite box with a Freesat one.

It takes less than five minutes to replace an existing satellit

If you have an existing Sky or fSfS (Freesat from Sky) installation and want to go to upgrade to Freesat, it is a simple process.

First, buy the Freesat box from a Argos, Curry.digital, Comet, John Lewes or your local independent shop:

In the box you will find the Freesat box:

Also included will be a remote control, and this model also comes with a SCART cable, a HDMI cable and a stereo-with-composite cable. Unpack the ones you need:

You old Sky box looks like this:

Unplug the mains first from the Sky box, then pull out the SCART (or SCARTs) and then unscrew the connection to the satellite dish.

Remove the Sky box and fit the Freesat box. Reconnect the satellite cable (take care as to not damage the connection) and then the SCART and finally connect the mains power:

The box will look like this:

The box also contains the manual, which has full installation instructions. Finally fit the batteries into the remote control.

The TV screen first displays the box's logo

The first set-up screen allows you to select the TV type, widescreen mode and resolution:

Next the box checks for the satellite signal:

Then there is a check for updated software:

Then you enter your postcode and the box checks it:

The next step is a scan for channels. This takes about 30 seconds:

And that's it. You can now view channels, like 108 for BBC HD:

Or press the GUIDE button for the EPG:

(Apologies for the photos not being of the top quality)

Free satellite?
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels4
Satellite TV operators FRANSAT, TIVUSAT and our Freesat launch FreeTV Alliance 1
An Independent Scot would still be able to watch the BBC on satellite, surely? 2
Were ... you watching UK Free TV from the Astra satellites until last week?3
Freetime supports Freesat 2013 growth4
Technical changes to Freesat channels, 2nd-10th October 20135
Freesat to outpace Sky in 21st consecutive quarter of growth6

Comments
Monday, 26 January 2015
MikeB

andy: Check out the differences here: All of the free TV channels in the UK

HD is of course one advantage, but of course the other is that if you have a twin LNB, you've got the chance to record, unlike a 2nd hand Sky box. And you would get on demand TV from a Manhattan or Humax box.

I'm not sure I'd be that disappointed to lose some of the Free Sky channels anyway - Horse & Country TV?

MikeB's 1,330 posts Gold Gold xx
Friday, 13 February 2015
G
geoffrey o'neill
7:06 PM Stockton-on-tees

I've tuned my tv and now get internet channel 248 when will this be broadcasting on the net. Stockton on tees.

geoffrey o'neill's 24 posts Bronze Bronze xx
geoffrey's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Saturday, 14 February 2015
N
Nick

andy: some Freesat programs have 5.1 sound, like the rugby today for example.

Nick's 41 posts Bronze Bronze xx
Friday, 20 February 2015
John

We have BT infinity broadband and u view, but reception through our terrestrial areal is really bad, constantly losing the reception for long periods.
We have an old sky plus box and card which allows us to change over fo free channels when the reception is poor but the box plays up at times and the picture is not as good.
Without re subscribing to sky packages, what is the best option?

John's 1 post xx

John

As you already have a dish, as was used for your previous Sky service, it may well be advisable to use that with a Freesat box. That will work perfectly well using the dish as the signals for Freesat come from the same group of satellites as the Sky signals.

I don't think that YouView works with satellite services though, but others may be able to confirm that or correct me if I'm wrong. My YouView box takes signals from my terrestrial aerial but, like you, signal reception of terrestrial (Freeview) services is not ideal.

If you like the idea of using your existing dish with a Freesat box, you may consider getting a Freesat PVR so you can record programmes as well - but that will need a dual output LNB at least. If you had Sky+ then you should already have at least a dual LNB (or maybe a quad, just as good) and at least 2 downleads that fed into your Sky+ box.

Food for thought?

MikeP's 666 posts Gold Gold xx
Saturday, 7 March 2015
T
TED DOE

I have just moved into a flat, there are two sat leads coming in. We are using freeveiw at the moment and getting poor reception on bbc 1 and bbc2, Would it be best to get freesat or sky basic package!!

TED DOE's 1 post xx
MikeB

TED DOE: Freesat is a one off payment - and since there are two leads, you can get a PVR, so you can watch and record at the same time. The Manhattan is about £129, but the Humax is a better best, and starts at £169. Thats also a smart box, with all four channels on demand, and wifi can be added.

Sky will cost you more over the long term - I have no idea of the basic package (Brianist did write an article on it - and MikeP reckoned £21 a month for a basic package), but if you simply bought a 2nd Sky box, and paid Sky to connect it up and allow it to record, its over a tenner a month, just for the recording function. So the Freesat box will have paid for itself in about a year if you buy a cheap one. Of course Freesat doesn't have as many channels as Sky (although I could probably live without Psychic Today, etc). Here is a list of what you get on each - All of the free TV channels in the UK

MikeB's 1,330 posts Gold Gold xx
Monday, 9 March 2015
F
FrankLT

I have a Sky + box & am moving to another area where a Sky + dish & leads is already installed... BUT I can no longer afford or wish to continue with my Sky subscription.

I am happy to receive whatever free channels are available BUT how can i record programmes best? Is it possible to use the recording & link facilities on my Sky+ box? If not, what do I need to get to record programmes with a link so that i don't have to keep resetting the recorder etc.

Cheers

FrankLT

FrankLT's 1 post xx
Dave Lindsay

FrankLT: You cannot use the recording features within a "Sky" box without paying said company for the dubious privilege. Therefore the best solution is probably to go with a Freesat PVR, this being a one-off payment for the box.

Dave Lindsay's 5,527 posts Platinum Platinum xx